Monday, May 24, 2010

Proverbs 31:17

Far Above Rubies 
 
Proverbs 31:17
She girdeth her loins with strength, 
And maketh strong her arms.

Ah yes, the virtuous body builder, hitting those weight benches at the gym every day...  Haha, ok, not really. I just had to throw that in there. :)

If you think about it, it seems obvious that after all the work she does, the virtuous woman would be at least somewhat strong. And yet her strength is still mentioned specifically! This woman makes sure that she clothes herself with strength. We are seeing many examples of her strength of character, and her discipline in labor helps her reap the benefit of a strong body!

Today, we have so many labor-saving devices that take a lot of the "sweat" out of work, so that even a very hardworking mother most likely won't have the same amount of physical strength that a hardworking mother of ancient times had. I certainly don't think that appliances like washing machines are wrong - I love them! But I think all of us (myself definitely included) need to "make strong our arms" in what ways we can. If we get enough exercise simply through our everyday tasks, great! But if we don't get the right kinds of exercise in the course of our daily work, I think it's a good idea to set aside a little time towards maintaining a healthy body.

Another thought I had was this: I think sometimes with certain tasks, we quickly assume that it's something we can't (or shouldn't have to) do. Now, I'm not talking about truly overexerting oneself so that you end up getting injured. Nor am I talking about overstepping the bounds of a woman's role. But, for example, lawn mowing. It's actually not that hard, so I don't know if it qualifies as something you need to strengthen your arms for, haha, but I'll use it as an example anyway.

I realize that there are some tasks that are sortof "guy things." Mowing the lawn, taking out the trash, etc. But I don't personally think it's inappropriate for a woman to mow the lawn now and then. If your husband wants that to be his responsibility, good for him! But I don't think we should always make that something that only he can do. If he's had a rough week and feels overwhelmed, and the lawn is on his "to do" list, maybe it would be a nice surprise to just "gird our loins" and have that grass mown when he comes home from work!

Here's a quote from George Lawson that I thought was good.
As rust gathers on metals that are seldom used, so sluggishness of disposition contracts a rust on the power of the body and mind; and idle persons by degrees realize those excuses for their conduct which were at first mere shams. The virtuous woman is of a very different temper. She declines not any part of her duty through aversion to toil; and by exerting her strength with a cheerful mind she improves it. Her labors give her health and vigor, and alacrity for new labors; so that she can with great ease and tranquility go through those duties which appear impossibilities to other women [Commentary on Proverbs, p. 564]
Let's all keep ourselves strong and rust-free... ready for whatever opportunities for good works come our way! :)

3 comments:

  1. Loved your post....as usual:-). I'm trying not to rust. Taking care of yourself is not only important for you but also for your loved ones. Having someone around you with inner strength helps you to realize the importance of inner and physical strength. Building your physical strength helps you to be a stronger mom as well...also builds endurance...especially when you have a baby that doesnt like to sleep! LOL. I'm working right now on my physical strength...I have a long way to go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. great post julia...

    btw~if daniel mows the lawn....trees get cut down!
    yeeeck.

    :p

    chas

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said, Jewels! I just caught up on your posts. Thanks so much for sharing your sour dough experience and recipes with us! I hope to try it some day. I love you sweetie and miss you! Can't wait to be "neighbors" again. :) A state away isn't much after being across the ocean and on separate continents. Love, Mrs. Debbie

    ReplyDelete